+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marine gas VS. Regular gas

RE: Marine gas VS. Regular gas

<font size="2">
    The real problem that boaters are having nowadays with clogged filters and water in the gas has to do with 1) mixing unblended with E-10 blended fuel, and 2) not using an ethanol stabilizer. If your boat is only a few years old, and you've always gotten gas on the street, then you have most likely always been running E-10 through your system.
    </font>

<font size="2">All very good points Buck... I'd just add, to buy gas from the busiest stations, as their fuel will be the freshest.... Ethanol phase seperation starts around 90 days........ so buy fresh and use the boat. I've been using E-10 and treating the fuel since last May with no issues yet. I've been using marine STABIL...... </font>

Thanx again Guys, I also just bought a quart of STABIL ethanol treatment. My boat is virtually empty, Was a bit worried about getting back to the ramp yesterday. The Man I bought it from left it in the water for me but also left it nearly empty. Marine fuel was $2.89 and at the station I usually go to its $1.95. The Stabil was $19 and some change a quart but treats 320 gal of gas. 1 Oz per 10 gal fuel if stored and 1 to 5 when being used regularly, so think I'll make the switch from Marine to Road now since its on the trailer and nearly empty. The filter and separater have been changed recently. With all you guys help, I'm beginning to understand this ethanol stuff.......I love this little Sailfish 198. It flies and is perfect for fishing Tampa Bay and the intercoastal.

That's good that the tank is near empty. Since you don't know exactly what the former owner was gassing-up with, I would suggest a double-dose of the STABIL. It will not harm anything. Actually, you could pour the entire quart into the tank without any problems... it's just not necessary.

Um... are you sure about the ratio? You may have it reversed. It's usually less additive when actively using the boat, and a higher concentration when storing.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Re: Marine gas VS. Regular gas

There are, of course, other additives besides Stabil. In my old boat (with 1996 two-stroke Johnson), I used PRI-G religiously. It really did a great job of keeping moisture out of the tank and thwarted carbon build up in the cylinders/pistons.
    Andy
    2660 CC, F-150s
    "Stuff happens. Sometimes for a reason. Sometimes not."

You Are correct again Uncle Buck, I reversed it bu accident. 1 to 5 when storing and 1 to 10 when using the boat...Sorry about that... Eyes getting old..

On the other side of the coin - When I bought my boat, it had only had &quot;marine grade fuel&quot; according to the seller, and I've kept that up so far (w/89 octane) .... The marina I fuel up at is ethanol-free and I'm planning on keeping it that way until they're forced to switch (my boat stays in the water so it's actually harder for me to go get road-side gas). I've put about 50 hours on it with the only supplement being Ring Free (I have a 2 stroke) - and have not had a single hiccup ever. As Andy and UB have said, most of the problems (gunk coming loose from old tanks) seem to come in the transition period and/or from mixing the 2 fuel types... Those making the switch should expect to change filter(s) quite often from what I've read until things settle down. If your &quot;E&quot; gas sits for more than 2 weeks it's losing octane and should be &quot;stabilized.&quot;

To anyone located in Boynton, Marina Village has no plans to change over to E-10 and add the stabilizer and octane booster in the fuel. If you call them, they are usually good about letting you know cost, how much is left and when the next truck is coming along with cost.

UB, did Palm Beach Yacht move to Ethanol?
    jrlsail
    One Fish Two Fish
    Sailfish 2360 2x F150 - Chaos/X-Gen Rods - Shimano
    2010 SF Forum and Owners Tourney - Big Fish and 1st Place
    2012 SF Forum and Owners Tourney - 3rd Place

Yes. PBYC reluctantly switched to E-10. But they picked a good time to do it. They were due for tank replacement about a year ago. Major demo and reconstruction where the washdown racks are (if you're familiar with that marina). Everything regarding holding and pumping fuel was replaced. Which meant they had brand new CLEAN tanks to hold the E-10 when they switched. Few other places can claim that. That may be a reason why so few boats have had an issue with getting E-10 there... as long as the proper steps were followed when changing over.

Jena, the dockmaster Tuesdays-Saturdays, has been there for many years. She's very knowledgeable about the fuel issues, and was a great help when I switched.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

+ Reply to Thread