Thread: Trolling motor / GPS anchor on 245DC

Trolling motor / GPS anchor on 245DC

Wife wants one for bottom fishing.

Has anybody installed or even seen one installed on 245DC? Im considering either the MK ipilot 72 or the Rhodan 72 or 84. Im curious to know where they installed the batteries and motor bracket.
    2018 Sailfish 245DC

Cool

Well - I didn't get any feedback, but I did get the i-pilot installed on my 245 DC and its working great. Here are some pics. Its a minn kota Terrova 72" shaft 36V system.

I had to place the batteries and charger in the helm console and add a bracket to be able to clear the rub rail with the TM shaft when deployed. Tested it this weekend and all I can say is that its GREAT not to have to deal with an anchor when offshore! Note that the single combo nav light had to be removed and replaced with dual nav lights.

See pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	15775

Name:	IMG_0266.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	15776

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15777

Name:	IMG_0263.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	15778

Before

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	15779
    2018 Sailfish 245DC

Looks good. I was just talking to a neighbor about tautog fishing just yesterday and how much trouble it is to move every 30 minutes using a wreck anchor. I tried it once by myself and after 3 moves I swore off tautog fishing unless I have others on board. Your i-pilot would sure be good for that.

How does having the batteries on starboard do? My 245DC already slightly lists to starboard and I was wondering if having the batteries there makes it worse.
    Richard
    2018 245DC
    2014 R207 Robalo - sold
    2004 285XF Albemarle - sold

I have trim tabs so I don't notice under power. If you were referring to floating only, well, I haven't noticed.

Have you ever used an anchor buoy? Basically, you drive away with the buoy on your line. As you drive your anchor comes up until it hits your bouy. If you have some chain it will stay right there. You just throw in the floating rope, buoy, and anchor.
    Last edited by Wrangler; 10-09-2018 at 02:11 AM.
    2018 Sailfish 245DC

I'm not sure that an anchor buoy would work for this. Basically I'm fishing with a wreck anchor where the rode is tied to the front of the anchor and held on to the shaft by zip ties. I have to drive over the anchor to break the ties as the anchor will most often be stuck in the rocks or wreck and once I break the ties the anchor is pulled up backwards. The current and waves around the rocks are usually very strong and the issue is getting over top of the anchor without fouling the line in the motor. So.. I drive up and get slack in the line. Stop, take up as much slack and I can, then do it again and again until I can safely drive over the anchor to break it free. With 2 people it's easy - with one it's crazy as each time I go to take in slack the boat backs up due to the current, wind and waves.

The only other solution I thought of was adding lots of slack to the line, driving in a semi-circle to get around the rocks, then try to yank the anchor free and pull it in while backing up into the waves. After looking at the 2 to 3 foot waves and the rocks I decided it wasn't the best idea I'd come up with.

I talked to a couple of other single-handed fishermen I know and like me they've sworn off tautog fishing (an ugly, but delicious fish) unless they have someone else on the boat to help with the anchor. I'm not sure the ipilot would hold in the strong currents and waves around the shallow rocks, but if so it would sure be nice. I haven't seen anyone out there with one, or I'd ask them, or watch how it's performing. Luckily one of my neighbors wants to go once he's recovered from his surgery, so I may be tautog fishing soon.

There are some offshore wrecks where tautog are often found, but they're about 45 miles offshore and more than 100 feet deep. Totally different way to fish there and I'd need an underwater camera as you locate the fish first, then drive into the current, anchor and let out line until you're back over the fish. I've watched the videos on how they do it and it's cool to be recording your catch from bite to landing, but again, it's not a single-handed effort and requires the camera, and much more rode than the 200 feet I currently have.
    Last edited by HookedUp; 10-03-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Richard
    2018 245DC
    2014 R207 Robalo - sold
    2004 285XF Albemarle - sold

I've used a might might anchor and it works great over wrecks with a buoy. I do need to drive in a semi-circle though, just to stay away from the rode.
    2018 Sailfish 245DC