Thread: 2017 275DC - Year 2 and beyond

2017 275DC - Year 2 and beyond

Here we are (for those of us in the North East) - the dog days of winter. It'll be cold and dark for the next two months so much time is spent tinkering around on the internet thinking about the summer to be. I have been boating all my life (on my fathers boats) but this boat is my first boat so this is my first time making all the decisions/maintenance/upgrades/improvements/etc myself. I wanted to throw this out there to some of you more experienced guys: Are there any lessons learned throughout your ownership for things that I should do/keep a close eye on in the boats early years? For example - "I wish I started ______ back when my boat was new, reconditioned the leather every year, replaced ______ yearly, use fuel stabilizer consistently, deep clean and reseal the deck ____ times per season, etc" . This goes without saying that all typical winterization and spring commissioning will be done properly but I am referring to anything else out there.
    2017 Sailfish 275DC out of Long Beach Island, NJ

On my last boat which was a dark color I wish I would have kept up waxing the hull and or buying a quality cover as I ended up with an oxidation nightmare and severe fading.

May not seem like a big deal but the metal snaps on the canvas and on cushions and what not. They oxidize over time and it's just something you don't really think about until that one time you go to remove something and it gives you trouble. Just a little lubricant will go a long way. I think everyone has one snap that could use some love.
    sol...
    2007 Sailfish 2360
    2002 Welcraft 22/23 w/a blown up
    2001 Seaswirl Striper 18.5 cc

Here's how I look at it. It's a large investment that needs constant maintenance. I clean everything all the time, in an out, even below the deck, very important the aluminum nothing looks worse than pitted aluminum. Days that are to nasty to fish I spend on cleaning maintenance, theres nothing better than a spotless boat. I even pull the boat mid season to put a quick coat of wax on the hull after power washing the bottom. I bought my boat new in 2008 and can honestly say it's as clean as the day I took it home in some ways better. However some things just ware with time so this year my helm seat and front seat of console cushions will be replaced. If you take this approach I'm certain there will be no regrets over time. You will be rewarded for your time and work the day you put your boat up for sale. That's why my family told me to name the boat finatic,,,, lol I'm like that with everything I own.
    Glen
    2004,, 218 CC sold
    2360, CC, F150's