Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wiring cleanup on 2006 2360 and Question on battery cables

Finatic down south it is the time of year to get work done on boats. Wx is frequently poor for offshore fun but at least cool enough to work on projects. Summer rains, humidity, night swarms of mosquitos and oppressive heat make wiring fixes and most all boat projects almost unbearable May-Nov. IMO the wiring could be worse on Sailfish (I have seen worse) and have to approach it like that and just start cleaning it up one circuit at a time.

I understand your wrapped up for season but do you recall how many powerposts you have mounted inside the double swing doors in the false transom? Do you have two negative cables running to battery? Do you recall the gauge of cables between powerposts and battery? Are you rigged with SAE or AWG ? Also what do your gauges show for resting voltage prior to cold start?

Thanks,

Mike

After consulting a local volume yamaha dealer and forum feedbacks I am going with my gut instinct. Going to be a little more pricey but am going to abandon all the powerposts and Yamaha OEM cables and* going to install new 2 AWG straight from motors to battery switches. Going to use one pos and one neg cable of course from each engine and make up new cables for the common grounds between batteries and new pos cables up to switches. I will solder the lugs after crimping as well. This should eliminate cable issues in the future and allow me to sleep better in the Bahamas this summer. Hope I do not have to much trouble pulling the wires but sure I'll get it without bleeding to much. As far as the lower gauge voltage I will report back if their is a change but the dealer indicated they are sometimes just that way and no adjustment as far as he knows. Thanks for inputs.

To follow-up with forum I wanted to post that we (my son and I) successfully ran Four (2 pos and 2 neg) 2 AWG cabling from the engine studs up to the switches and battery negatives. Was not too terrible a job but did run into a few issues and Sailfish factory rigging peculiarities we had to work out. I will start a new thread for the benefit of others with the details. Nice sunny day in low 70's but a dry front came in with north wind and got down to chilly low 60's in late afternoon. Must be bad up North when we get this frigid down here.