Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Correct on the 73...
    Stay safe guys, material items can always be replaced.
    Glen
    2004,, 218 CC sold
    2360, CC, F150's

Hell why not a 300 am update live from a shelter in south florida.Nothing better to do than check the weather and the forums.I have to say i feel like a spoiled brat looking at the many people old young disabled mostly of hatian descent.Theres no cots or blankets unless you were smart enough to bring your own.Sleeping is on the floor however food is decent.There are group home kids the ankle braclet crew pregnant women. many awesome volunteers are here some of whom are also sleeping on the floor on pieces of cardboard.

Numerous medical calls some disturbances and thefts.Yes people should have been more prepared but sures gives you perspective(me) when I get pissed about a relativley minor issue with the boat.Sucks to work at a shelter but life could be worse.Hope everyone is safe in sailfish forum land.

Checking in from WPB at 6:00 am. 30 to 35 mph fairly steady winds. Neighborhood has power and little to no damage in the immediate neighbors. Internet but no cable.

Sure hope everyone further west is doing OK.

Thanks for the updates guys. Hunker down and stay safe.
    OUTTA D'BLUE 2860 w/twin 250's
    2014 Forum Tournament Champion

Capt B I feel your pain, stay safe.
    Glen
    2004,, 218 CC sold
    2360, CC, F150's

In The hull truth spirit figure you guys might like this shelter update.Power went out people were in classrooms hallways and gym for at least 24 hours with no ac .Windows were shut during tornado warnings and high winds but backup generator was working providing lighting.About 2100 people in total some of whom were pretty stinky prior to arriving on day one.At first some people were using buckets of water from the sinks dumping it over themselves as a make shift shower in some of the restrooms. Some even used water out of the toilets to do this I didn't believe it until I actually saw it.Others defecated on the floor after plumbing was clogged up.

This all happened in a high school and needless to say the custodians trying to keep the place clean were at their wits end.Some people were ready to take out the offending parties of nastiness.Many people were bussed in to this shelter after a mandatory evacuation of three small cities.The shelter closed yesterday and folks that were bussed in were taken back. Even the people at disney would have a heck of a time organizing the line of people pushing, cutting trying to be first on the bus.People were trying to get passed the elderly in wheel chairs and mothers with kids like the zombies were coming for them.The school district is good at getting these types of things cleaned and disinfected but the poor people that have to do this uggh..

Even through all the chaos I met many nice people that were appreciative of having a safe place to be.The kicker to the entire event was the last day there was a naked apparently mentally ill person who was found on an empty bus covered in his own feces.I have worked in many shelters over the years but this particular one I will always remember. Most shelters are well organized and run as this one was however due to the behavior of some of the people seeking shelter it was pretty rough. No one got hurt that I'm aware of but even with more than twenty cops , fire rescue and numerous volunteers stationed at the school I'm surprised a major incident didn't occur.

Word to the wise if you ever need to utilize a shelter location , location, location..

Hope everyone is safe in the keys.

Coast of SC got hit pretty hard with surge and some wind...here's a few videos my dad took from their place in Awendaw. He's right on the ICW at Bulls Bay so not much between him and the ocean there.

First vid is from about 9:30am Monday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoL6-fo0QA

I think this one is from about 3pm or so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AdUCCuTwYQ